Detectives investigating the abduction and rape of two women in linked attacks have released an image of a suspect.
The first victim was taken in Chingford, north London, at about 00:30 BST on Thursday, while the second was targeted 12 hours later in Edgware.
Both women, in their 20s, escaped following a struggle in Osborne Road, Watford, at about 14:30.
A man, 33, has been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to rape. The hunt for the rapist continues.
The Met Police has released images of a suspect attempting to book a hotel room in the Watford area at about 13:00 on Thursday. When one was unavailable, he left the premises.
The suspect is described as white, of muscular build, aged in his late 20s or early 30s, with a bald head or shaved blond hair and a light-coloured short beard.
He is described as having a distinctive tattoo of the word “bobbie” on his stomach.
He was believed to have been driving a silver or grey-coloured Ford S-Max people carrier, with false registration plates.
Det Ch Insp Katherine Goodwin urged the public to come forward and report any unfamiliar parked cars matching its description.
She warned people not to approach the suspect and to call 999.
“Our investigation into these appalling crimes is making good process but we urgently need the help of the public to identify and trace this man.
“It is vitally important we catch this man, and while stranger attacks of this nature are thankfully rare, we would urge people to remain vigilant.”
A 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering 14-year-old Jaden Moodie.
Jaden was stabbed in Leyton, east London, on 8 January after he was knocked off a moped by a Mercedes.
Ayoub Majdouline, 18, of Lily Gardens in Wembley, north-west London, was charged with the boy’s murder on 21 January.
The man arrested on Thursday has been taken to an east London police station for questioning, police say.
The Metropolitan Police said it was continuing to appeal for information over the teenager’s death.
The trial of Mr Majdouline, who is also charged with possession of a bladed article, is due to start at the Old Bailey on 8 July.
US President Donald Trump will make a three-day state visit to the UK from 3 to 5 June, Buckingham Palace has announced.
The president and First Lady Melania Trump will be guests of the Queen and attend a ceremony in Portsmouth to mark 75 years since the D-Day landings.
He will also have official talks with the prime minister at Downing Street.
Mr Trump previously met the Queen at Windsor Castle when he came to the UK in July 2018 on a working visit.
The White House said the upcoming trip would reaffirm the “steadfast and special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom”.
The president was promised a state visit by Prime Minister Theresa May after he was elected in 2016 – but no date was set.
Mrs May said June’s state visit was an “opportunity to strengthen our already close relationship in areas such as trade, investment, security and defence, and to discuss how we can build on these ties in the years ahead”.
But shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry voiced concerns about the visit, saying: “It beggars belief that on the very same day Donald Trump is threatening to veto a United Nations resolution against the use of rape as a weapon of war, Theresa May is pressing ahead with her plans to honour him with a state visit to the UK.”
Representatives of other countries invited to the Portsmouth event on 5 June include those from Canada, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, Luxembourg, Poland, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Greece, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.
Portsmouth was one of the key embarkation points for many of the landing craft on D-Day, when, during World War Two, Allied forces invaded Nazi-occupied France marking the beginning of the end for Adolf Hitler’s domination of Europe.
The June gathering on Southsea Common will involve live performances, military displays and tributes to the Allied troops who fought in Normandy, including at least 11 Royal Navy vessels in the Solent and a flypast of 26 RAF aircraft.
After leaving the UK, Mr Trump and his wife will travel to France for a series of D-Day anniversary events on 6 June itself.
The president’s last visit to the UK – when he had talks with Mrs May at Chequers before heading to Scotland, where he owns the Turnberry golf course – was marked by demonstrations.
In London, thousands of people took to the streets to voice their concerns.
And in Scotland, people showed their displeasure, both in Edinburgh and at Turnberry.
The National Police Chiefs’ Council estimated that the police operation for the president’s 2018 visit cost nearly £18m.
It said 10,000 officers from across the country were needed to cover the occasion.
The campaigners behind the 2018 protests – the Stop Trump Coalition and Stand Up To Trump – have vowed to mobilise “huge numbers” once again in response to the visit.
Shaista Aziz from the Stop Trump Coalition criticised the US president’s “politics of hate and bigotry”, while Sabby Dhalu from Stand Up To Trump called for people to “take to the streets and say clearly that Donald Trump is not welcome here”.
A spokeswoman for Commons Speaker John Bercow said a request for Mr Trump to address Parliament – an event often associated with a state visit – would be “considered in the usual way”, but did not say whether a request had yet been received.
Mr Bercow – who, as Speaker, has the power to veto who addresses Parliament – previously said he would be “strongly opposed” to Mr Trump addressing the Houses of Parliament during a state visit.
BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond said Mr Trump avoided London on his last visit and made it clear he did not particularly want to come to the capital if he was going to face protests.
However, our correspondent said a key part of a state visit is the procession down the Mall in front of Buckingham Palace and it is thought protesters will gather there – not a first for a state visit.
Once inside Buckingham Palace, it is expected the Queen will host a banquet for around 150 guests in Mr Trump’s honour.
The Queen has hosted two previous state visits from US presidents – George W Bush in November 2003, and Barack Obama in May 2011.
What is a state visit?
A state visit is a formal visit by a head of state and is normally at the invitation of the Queen, who acts on advice from the government.
State visits are grand occasions, but they are not just ceremonial affairs. They have political purpose and are used by the government of the day to further what it sees as Britain’s national interests.
Once the location and dates are confirmed, the government, the visiting government and the royal household will agree on a detailed schedule.
So what is involved?
The Queen acts as the official host for the duration of the trip, and visitors usually stay at either Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.
There is usually a state banquet, and a visit to – and speeches at – the Houses of Parliament may be included. The Speaker of the House of Commons is one of three “key holders” to Westminster Hall, and as such, effectively holds a veto over who addresses Parliament.
The Queen usually receives one or two heads of state a year. She has hosted 109 state visits since becoming monarch in 1952.
The last state visit to the UK was in October, when King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands came for two days.
The official website of the Queen and the Royal Family has a full list of all state visits since then, including details of how the ceremonies unfold.
|European Challenge Cup|
|ASM Clermont Auvergne (26) 32|
|Tries: Lee, Penaud Cons: Parra 2 Pens: Parra 4 Drop goals: Lopez 2|
|Harlequins (8) 27|
|Tries: Brown, Robshaw, Lang, Dombrandt Cons: Smith 2 Pen: Smith|
Clermont Auvergne proved too strong for Premiership side Harlequins in the European Challenge Cup semi-final.
Tries from Fritz Lee and Damian Penaud gave the Top 14 side the perfect platform to lead 26-8 at the break.
Despite tries from Mike Brown, Chris Robshaw, James Lang and Alex Dombrandt, Quins could not complete a memorable comeback after trailing 32-8.
Morgan Parra notched 16 points with his boot for the hosts alongside two early drop goals from Camille Lopez.
Clermont will face La Rochelle in an all-French final in Newcastle in May after they beat Sale 24-20 in the other semi-final.
Harlequins held their own during the opening quarter but Clermont took control in the closing stages of the first half when number eight Fritz and France winger Penaud both crossed in the space of four minutes.
Brown’s try did see Quins mount a response but another Parra penalty gave the hosts a 26-8 lead at half-time.
France scrum-half Parra stretched that advantage with two more penalties before Ross Chisholm was denied a try when Dombrandt brushed the touchline with his left boot as he tried to offload.
Rather than knock the stuffing out of Paul Gustard’s side, it galvanised them as first Robshaw dotted down under the posts and then replacement centre Lang latched on to Marcus Smith’s grubber kick to bring them within 10 points.
Back row Dombrant then got underneath a rolling maul for Quins’ fourth try in the dying seconds, but there was no more time to steal the restart off two-time winners Clermont.
Clermont Auvergne: Tuicuvu; Penaud, Moala, Fofana, Raka; Lopez, Parra; Falgoux, Kayser, Slimani, Timani, Vahaamahina, Iturria, Lapandry, Lee.
Replacements: Ulugia, Kakabadze, Simutoga, Jedrasiak, Chouly, Laidlaw, Nanai Williams, Betham.
Harlequins: Brown; R Chisholm, Alofa, Tapuai, Walker; Smith, Hidalgo-Clyne; Marler, Buchanan, Sinckler, Symons, Glynn, Clifford, Robshaw (capt), Dombrandt.
Replacements: Elia, Auterac, Ibuanokpe, South, Kunatani, Saunders, Lang, Saili.
Referee: John Lacey (Ire)